Thursday, September 4, 2014

My name is Jenn Crupie and I am a Public Relations major at Slippery Rock University. I am interested in new-media journalism because I am very interested in social media, and am curious to learn more about how to use different medias in PR. I thought that by taking this class it would expand my knowledge, and help me land the job that I am working towards.

I remember going into my senior year of high school with absolutely no plan for my future. I had no idea what I wanted to do with school let alone a career. I joined one of my friends on one of her college tours, and that's how I ended up at Slippery Rock. I went home, told my parents, and then the search for a career was next. Still, I can remember sitting with my parents and they simply asked me what I was interested in. The first thing that came to my mind was country music. For as long as I can remember, I was always listening to country music. I grew up on George Strait, Shania Twain, and Garth Brooks. And once I answered the question, I found myself being a PR major.

For my senior trip, I was told that I could go anywhere I wanted to. I chose Nashville, Tennessee, and I had a hard time coping with the fact that I had to come home. I fell completely in love with the city, the atmosphere, and the people. We did all the cheesy tourist stuff of course, but it really made me realize that this is where I wanted to move right after college. I want to start working in radio stations doing social media and PR, but, but the ultimate dream would be doing PR for an artist.

A traditional media outlet that interests me is ABC News. I prefer ABC because I feel that they are always quick to notify about all the breaking news. I'm not going to lie and say that I read their stories on a regular basis. I, along with every other 20 year old, get most of my news updates on twitter or other social media. However, once I find out about whatever is going on, I find myself on ABC's page reading the article.

A new media outlet that I enjoy is The Huffington Post. I think I like this outlet because it has more interesting pieces rather than just strictly being hard news. I usually follow up on the entertainment and comedy articles to pass my time. I can't help but be a typical girl and want to watch funny cat videos, and read articles about the latest celebrity scandal.

No comments:

Post a Comment